The importance of practicing physical activity is now proved for every age group. But, there is a period of life when running or riding a bicycle is impossible. At that time, an exercise bike will be a safe option for seniors who have difficulties. Regularly using an exercise bike for seniors allows the body to remain active longer and fit. It provides mood-related benefits by releasing endorphins. Also, it improves the cardio-circulatory system and helps to reform the muscles.
Finding an exercise bike for seniors is a difficult task and takes a long time. After in-depth research and lots of trials, we have highlighted 5 best exercise bike for seniors that will meet your demands and ensure relaxation.
Table of Content:
Here is the table of content for you to have a quick overview:
- Top 5 Best Exercise Bike For Seniors
- What To Consider Before Buying An Exercise Bike For Seniors?
Is An Exercise Bike Good For Seniors?
The exercise bike is, without a doubt, one of the best exercising equipment by senior citizens. It not only provides comfort while training but also ensures notorious health benefits. The exercise chairs are equipped with a seat that will allow the seniors to sit comfortably, without having to strain to position themselves on the saddle. It helps to strengthen the lower muscles, perhaps affected by the sagging and loss of muscle mass that the years imply. So, it will be a fundamental ally for those older people who need to maintain a healthy and disease-free lifestyle.
Note: Now you know how important an exercise bike is for seniors but if you want to know more benefits of its then check this article that we wrote for you, Is an exercise bike good for seniors?
If you want to figure out the details of the exercise bikes that we have selected, you do it through the comparison chart below:
Doufit Recumbent Exercise Bike Stationary for Seniors and Adults
Pooboo Magnetic Recumbent Exercise Bike for Seniors
Exerpeutic 1000 Magnetic Hig Capacity Recumbent Exercise Bike for Seniors
MaxKare Recumbent Exercise Bike Indoor Cycling
Marcy Recumbent Exercise Bike with Resistance
Top 5 Best Exercise Bike For Seniors
From the various types of exercise bikes for older people, we have reviewed 5 best exercise bikes for seniors that will fulfill your needs. Let’s have a look below.
1. Doufit Recumbent Exercise Bike Stationary for Seniors and Adults
Doufit Recumbent Exercise Bike comes with an adjustable seat with backrest that provides comfort riding experience to seniors and adults. Its 8.8lbs flywheel that ensures smooth and quiet exercise without disturbing others. The bike is made with high-quality stainless steel to ensure stability and can hold up to 242 lbs user weight that can be suitable for seniors.
It has an LCD screen for displaying time, speed, calories burned, heart rate monitors, distance traveled and scan function. It has 8 levels of magnetic resistance that provide various types of intensities that are easier for seniors. The total weight of the bike for seniors is about 66 pounds, which can be moved anywhere with the moving wheels.
It has a bottle holder to stay hydrated during exercise. It pedals are wide and comes with anti-slip cages that protect from the accident. You can enjoy music or watch movies during training by put phones or tablets on the phone holder. The bike helps to improve your physical and mental health of seniors with smooth exercise. If you have a small budget, choose the best exercise bike under 300 that is suitable for seniors and adults.
Main Key Features:
- It has an adjustable seat with a backrest to provide comfort and relaxation to the seniors.
- Its heavy-duty steel based frame can hold up to 242 pounds of user weight.
- It has 8.8 pounds flywheel that ensures quiet and smooth exercise.
- The LCD display shows the calories, distances, speeds, pulse rate, ODM, time and scan to calculate the progress of training.
- It has 8 levels of resistance that is adjustable according to your needs while exercising.
2. Pooboo Magnetic Recumbent Exercise Bike for seniors
Pooboo magnetic recumbent exercise bike for seniors comes with a comfortable seat that has wide backrest and handrail to provide safety and relaxation during workouts for seniors. Its 7 hole position is adjustable and suitable for different sized users to do exercise. The bike is made with a steel-based frame that can hold up to 300lbs user weight to ensure stability and longtime use.
The bike is equipped with an LCD screen, which shows speed, time, distance, burned calories and ODM that helps to check your workout progress. It has 8 levels of resistance that provide silent and smooth exercising while exercising and it can be adjusted with a knob if need. The practical integrated transport wheels allow you to move everywhere easily.
The bike comes with adjustable non-slip pedals prevent the foot from slipping, ensuring maximum safety. Also, the pedals cage is suitable for different sized legs that provides more comfort. You can hold your smart device with the phone holder and enjoy music or watch videos while exercising.
Main Key Features:
- It has 8 levels of magnetic resistance that provides smooth and maintenance-free riding without worrying others.
- The seat has a wide backrest and large handrails that ensures comfort and safety during exercise.
- The LCD monitor shows the distance, timer, burned calories, scan and speed of cycling.
- It has adjustable non-slip pedals with a cage that protects us from falling down and unexpected accidents.
- It has 7 hole position, which can be adjusted according to the user’s height.
3. Exerpeutic 1000 Magnetic High Capacity Recumbent Exercise Bike for Seniors
Exerpeutic 1000 Magnetic High Capacity Recumbent Exercise Bike comes with an adjustable seat that has backrest and handrails to provide comfort to seniors who have difficulties. The bike has large pedals with adjustable foot straps that protect from slippage during the workout and ensure stability. For seniors and adults who want more stable exercise, this might be the best recumbent exercise bike for seniors. Also, the bike is made with high-quality steel that can hold up to 240lbs weight so everyone can use it for exercise.
The bike has a cranking mechanism that comes with V-belt drive, which provides noise-free and smooth exercise. The 8 levels of resistance system can be customized with a knob according to your needs. The bike has an easy to read LCD monitor that shows the heart rate, distance, speed, burned calories and time that helps to check the progress.
It can be transported anywhere with its moveable wheels. The design is modern and captivating with a high aesthetic impact. Regular using the exercise bike burn not only fats but also train endurance and coordination. It can be used by all users, even the elderly or those with joint problems.
Main Key Features:
- It is equipped with an LCD monitor that will show the values of time, distance, speed, calories and pulse rate.
- The seat has a wide backrest and handrails that are perfect for seniors to provide safety during exercise.
- It has customizable 8 levels of magnetic resistance allows doing exercise without disturbing others.
- Its wheel transport system helps to move and lift easily anywhere.
- Adjustable non-slip pedals prevent the foot from slipping and ensures maximum safety.
4. MaxKare Recumbent Exercise Bike
MaxKare Recumbent Exercise Bike has soft padded seat and sponge furnished backrest provides extra comfort to the seniors who have difficulties and back pain. The seat can be adjusted with a lever that helps to move the seat position according to your needs. Its frame is made with premium steel that can hold up to 300lbs user weight, providing stability and steady performance.
It has 8-level magnetic resistance that ensures gentle, middle and high-intensity exercise at a different level with improving blood circulation, cardio circulation and prevent osteoporosis. The LCD screen shows the exercise time, speed, distance, burned calories and scan to overview the progress. Also, it has a heart rate sensor which indicates the pulse rate and heart condition during exercise.
It comes with paddles and anti-skid cages that ensure safety and protects seniors from falling down accident. You can easily move the bike with its transportation wheels where you need. Also, with the holder, you can watch videos or listen to music with exercise.
Main Key Features:
- It has soft padded seat and sponge backrest that provide more comfort to the seniors.
- The LCD shows the exercise data, speed, distance, burned calories and scan to calculate the progress.
- It has 8-level magnetic resistance that provides various types of benefits with different levels.
- The anti-skid paddle and cages provide safety from slippage accident.
- It is made with premium steel and can hold up to 300 pounds.
5. Marcy Recumbent Exercise Bike with Resistance
Marcy Recumbent Exercise Bike comes with a 14-gauge steel frame that ensures stability and rigidity. It can hold up to 300 lbs so that everyone can do exercise with the bike. Its seat is padded with high-density foam, which provides comfort and smooth training to the seniors. With the seat, the foam covered handles and backrest provides extra support for arms and back to do proper exercise. So, it will be the best exercise bike for elderly who wants extra comfort during exercise.
The bike has 8-level magnetic resistance that can be controlled with a knob to bring variation while exercising. It has a round-shaped LCD screen that allows to read the exercise speed, time, burned calories, distance traveled and odometer. The lightweight exercise bike can be installed and stored anywhere easily. You can do exercise in the smallest space, anytime, in the middle and wherever you want.
It has weighted pedals that support maximal foot size and the anti-skid foot straps ensure safety. With the wheels, you can lift and move it anywhere. The trainer is easy to use and suitable for the whole family, young and old, for beginners and advanced.
Main Key Features:
- Its frame is made with 14-gauge steel that ensures stability and holds up to 300 pounds weight.
- The LCD monitor helps to calculate the exercise data, speed, burned calories, distance and ODM.
- The high-dense foam padded seat has a backrest and handles that ensure comfort exercise to the seniors.
- It has 8-level magnetic resistance that can be customized with a knob to provide quiet performance.
- Its weighted pedals and cages provide maximal foot size and protection from slippage.
What To Consider Before Buying An Exercise Bike For Seniors?
An exercise bike for seniors is a great invention that allows doing physical activities without leaving the house. Before buying the best exercise bike for seniors, you should consider the factors that presented below.
- Adjustable and comfortable seat:
The more a person grows older, the more comfort they need. So, the seat of exercise must be soft and comfortable. A bike with a padded and ergonomic saddle will be better if equipped with a backrest and handrails. It allows the user to maintain a pleasant position without going unbalanced. The seat must be adjustable that helps to get on, off and get to the pedal in a better way.
- Readable display:
All exercise bikes come with a digital display that shows our activities count. With it, you can monitor the main values relating to the training in progress, such as calories burned and duration of the session and more. Some exercise bike shows a heart pulse rate in the display through a heart rate sensor. It is an essential aspect to keep under control, especially in the elderly.
- Easy to use:
When an elderly person decides that something is difficult for them and they cannot use it. It is difficult to make them change their mind. For this reason, it is the case that the exercise bike must be as simple as possible. So, choose a model that is easy to set up and use.
Exercise bikes come with a resistance that can be adjusted with a knob. The mechanical resistance is activated automatically with an adjustment wheel. The magnetic one can instead be controlled directly from the console of the exercise bike through a magnet. Also, the only one that allows you to set predefined and highly personalized training programs, with variation in resistance automatic. With this bike, you’ll have a silent and smooth riding experience.
Exercise bikes for the elderly must be light to move where you need to use. At the same time, it must be stable to prevent falling while it is used. Precisely for this reason, it is essential to pay attention to what is the weight of the flywheel. It is the part where the pedals are attached, which is the core of the exercise bike itself. It is essential to look at the maximum allowed weight and the height of the user should not excessive compared to the size of the structure.
By following these factors and aspects, you will get the exercise bike for seniors without a doubt.
Note: We told you what you should consider when you want to buy an exercise bike for seniors if you think this information is not enough for you then check this article that we wrote on exercise bikes buying guide.
Why Should You Buy An Exercise Bike For Seniors?
You should need an exercise bike to get the potential benefits of physical activity and stay fit for a long time.
- For older people, the exercise bike is better to keep fit by doing activities that have a reduced and softer impact. Also, its movement is very easy that provides a low impact on the joints without having to add additional stress.
- The heavy-duty steel structure of the exercise bike, wide backrest, the soft handrails and the anti-slip pedals provide stability and safety during exercise.
- The activity on a stationary bike focuses on the movement of our legs, which are the foundations of our body and helps us to achieve better mobility.
- Using an exercise bike for 30 minutes or 1 hour can help improve blood circulation. It also helps to lower high blood pressure and control blood sugar that is a common disease of seniors.
To get these benefits, a senior person should get an exercise bike. So, choose from the reviewed above that has all these benefits.
Frequently Asked Questions:
Below, we have presented some frequently asked questions and give answers that will remove your confusion.
Can you build muscle after age 65?
Yes. After the age of 60, our muscles lose and shrink. Doing exercise and gym regularly, you can build muscle after age 65, but it will not be the same as the youth.
Can Using an Exercise Bike Hurt Your Knees?
No. Using an exercise bike strengthens the knee muscle and improve the motion range.
Are exercise bikes bad for your back?
No. Exercise bikes are suitable for those who have back pain. But, if your posture on the bike is not accurate, it will be bad for your back.
Are exercise bike good for losing weight?
Yes. Using an exercise bike for an hour will help to burn 400 to 600 calories. These burned calories reduce weight.
Can exercise bike reduce belly fat?
Yes. Riding on exercise bikes creates pressure on belly muscle and burned calories.
An exercise bike is also an excellent fitness tool for seniors who are looking for a simple, practical tool for exercising without leaving home. It helps to improve the functions of the heart and strengthen muscles. From the 5 best exercise bike for seniors, I would like to recommend Marcy Recumbent Exercise Bike that is made with 14-gauge steel that can hold up to 300 pounds of user weight. Its saddle has high-density foam covered backrest and handles that help to maintain a good exercise and ensure safety to the seniors. Also, you can check your exercise progress through a round-shaped LCD monitor that shows the speed, distance, odometer, burned calories and time.